Sunday, November 18, 2007

Happy Birthday!

Dear Adam,

I hope that as you read this blog that Hillary set up that all is going well for you in Africa and at the orphanage.

When I think of what you're doing over there, I recall a conversation I had with a friend a few years back. Being somewhat of a comic fanboy, I was telling this friend that I've always been attracted to stories about heroes, about super heroes especially. I think one of the reasons is that something pure like that rarely exists in our world. In fact, the only equivalent to the Spider-men and Batmen of the comic world, I said to this friend, where the volunteers, the ones who take up arms and fight injustice in the world, seeking to make it a better place.

Granted, many of these start out as idealistic, dewey-eyed naive folks who become bitter and forswear the struggle. Those, who, in essence, give into the cynicism and give up the fight.

What I find heroic are those who (like you) acknowledge that the world isn't a rosy place, and yet continue to work to make things better, in spite of that knowledge.

I guess all of this is my meandering way of saying your one of my heroes. (let the corny "awwws" ensue) Well done! Keep up the good (and inspiring) work.

Happy Birthday, when you get back stateside, I look forward to sharing a beer with you and hearing about your adventures. (although your blog does a great job of sharing those stories as well!)

namaste,

vaya con dios,

-Patrick Hurley

No comments: